Humanism, Avant-garde Jazz
Earlier this week, the MacArthur foundation (some institute set up for the purpose of choosing people every year to give half a million dollars over the course of 4 years (for their past work and to more easily allow them to continue with it)) chose its 2006 recipients. Among them was the avantgarde jazzman, John Zorn, and understandably so. Sure, some of his stuff is a little, shall we say, unaccessable, but the man has taken part in what, over one hundred recordings? That's Frank Zappa caliber shit. I've read rumors that his apartment is devoid of furniture or kitchen appliances, to make room for records and books. The man is freaking amazing, just a bit... unusual.
I highly recommend any of his Masada, Painkiller, or Naked City stuff, especially if it's with Patton , Frith, or Dunn.
Mike Patton, there's another character. I had the pleasure of (somewhat) accidentally seeing him perform at this year's lollapalooza with his current touring group, Peeping Tom. I've read mixed reviews of their album, and after hearing it, I must admit, it doesn't stand up to their live show. But it's still pretty damn good. I must admit, while Fantomas is up there in terms of being an acquired taste, I'm eagerly awaiting their next album (although it's a shame Terry Bozzio was only temporarily filling in on their tour, it'd be cool to hear him in the studio with them), but it probably won't be out until sometime in the next year or so.
And following the degrees-of-separation, this brings us back to Zappa (whom Bozzio performed with on a few albums), whom I have a bit of a harder time appreciating than Zorn. It might be the lyrics, or his disregard for the audience (and, some might argue, his band), I don't know. He was a weird one, although not as weird as Captain Beefheart. I've heard that it takes a few hundred listens to truly appreciate Trout Mask Replica. I don't know if that would be enough.
_________________
A day or so ago, a friend of mine asked me what I followed. I stumbled for a response, saying something along the lines of, "well, I'm not really sure," and them muttered on about christian ethics and utilitarianism. I thought about it today, and a memory of reading an article entitled "Towards a Secular Humanism" floated around in my head. Whether or not said article ever actually existed, I don't know (such is my addled head), but I haven't found much which I disagree with. I don't seek explanations through supernatural, divine, or sheer faith, and agree that truth must be sought out. While the term "atheist" is something I'm wary to toss around, I feel that agnostics are sitting on the fence and that to be a christian is to be labelled (and rightfully so, I would argue) crazy.
Not that there's anything wrong with following the teachings of Jesus (the basis of christianity), it's just that before him, God was this angry, angry guy who would kill off entire tribes. Not exactly What Jesus Would Do, was it? Between that and some of the obsolete sanitary practices of the day which are still clung to by bigots and so-called moralists everywhere (which were reiterated in some of the writings of Paul), there's a lot of "Christianity" I take issue with. Hell, some of my best friends used to be Christians... (hah!) As if people really need the promise of an eternity of bliss in exchange for (trying to) liv(e)ing a righteous life...
In short, I don't care too much about some external, superhuman entity which may somehow be responsible for our existence so much as I care what we as a race can tangibly accomplish. Or just the accomplishments which I can selfishly appreciate. Whatever.
I highly recommend any of his Masada, Painkiller, or Naked City stuff, especially if it's with Patton , Frith, or Dunn.
Mike Patton, there's another character. I had the pleasure of (somewhat) accidentally seeing him perform at this year's lollapalooza with his current touring group, Peeping Tom. I've read mixed reviews of their album, and after hearing it, I must admit, it doesn't stand up to their live show. But it's still pretty damn good. I must admit, while Fantomas is up there in terms of being an acquired taste, I'm eagerly awaiting their next album (although it's a shame Terry Bozzio was only temporarily filling in on their tour, it'd be cool to hear him in the studio with them), but it probably won't be out until sometime in the next year or so.
And following the degrees-of-separation, this brings us back to Zappa (whom Bozzio performed with on a few albums), whom I have a bit of a harder time appreciating than Zorn. It might be the lyrics, or his disregard for the audience (and, some might argue, his band), I don't know. He was a weird one, although not as weird as Captain Beefheart. I've heard that it takes a few hundred listens to truly appreciate Trout Mask Replica. I don't know if that would be enough.
_________________
A day or so ago, a friend of mine asked me what I followed. I stumbled for a response, saying something along the lines of, "well, I'm not really sure," and them muttered on about christian ethics and utilitarianism. I thought about it today, and a memory of reading an article entitled "Towards a Secular Humanism" floated around in my head. Whether or not said article ever actually existed, I don't know (such is my addled head), but I haven't found much which I disagree with. I don't seek explanations through supernatural, divine, or sheer faith, and agree that truth must be sought out. While the term "atheist" is something I'm wary to toss around, I feel that agnostics are sitting on the fence and that to be a christian is to be labelled (and rightfully so, I would argue) crazy.
Not that there's anything wrong with following the teachings of Jesus (the basis of christianity), it's just that before him, God was this angry, angry guy who would kill off entire tribes. Not exactly What Jesus Would Do, was it? Between that and some of the obsolete sanitary practices of the day which are still clung to by bigots and so-called moralists everywhere (which were reiterated in some of the writings of Paul), there's a lot of "Christianity" I take issue with. Hell, some of my best friends used to be Christians... (hah!) As if people really need the promise of an eternity of bliss in exchange for (trying to) liv(e)ing a righteous life...
In short, I don't care too much about some external, superhuman entity which may somehow be responsible for our existence so much as I care what we as a race can tangibly accomplish. Or just the accomplishments which I can selfishly appreciate. Whatever.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home